Monday, August 1, 2011

Comfort Food and a Bellyache

I found Purely Decadent Dairy Free Ice Cream in the Cookie Dough flavor the other day at my local Kroger.  They were on sale two for $5, so I had to try them!


Purely Decadent Soy Milk Pint - Cookie Dough
Photo courtesy of Turtle Mountain (http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=purely_decadent_cookie_dough)


Now that I've tried it (and by "it", I DO mean the entire pint!)....I realize that I've had this before.  The flavor was good, though not quite the same as normal ice cream.  It has a nice vanilla flavor to the "ice cream" though it doesn't seem quite as creamy as cow's milk ice cream would be.  The cookie dough is delicious, and some of the best raw gluten free cookie dough I've had.

I did end up confirming my suspicions that I have at least a slight intolerance to soy products.  It didn't make me sick right away, but after consuming the entire pint over the course of the day (horrible! I know), I was in some major pain last night and this morning.  I don't know exactly what this means for me.  I've been limiting soy milk for awhile now because it's consistently given me a stomachache.  It has never been quite this bad though, so I'm hoping it was simply a quantity thing.  I have to figure out now, whether it's safe to consume small amounts of soy or if I need to eliminate it entirely as I need to with gluten.

I'm very much a recovering gluten addict.  I've been cheating on and off for over a year, and this blog is my attempt to stop that.  For now, I'm going to focus on eliminating ALL of the gluten and gluten cross-contamination from my diet, and then I'll think about eliminating soy entirely.  I need baby steps here to succeed, and since gluten is the hardest for me, I'll start there.  In the meantime, I will either have to ration out the other pint, or give it entirely to my husband, and find a pint of the Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk, in Cookie Dough, that also gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment